St Simons Island Fishing Report 3/7/15

Monday, November 29, 2010

The wind is your friend....

What?! Fishing in the wind, really?  For the many of those who've been on the boat with me, you've probably heard me mutter "the wind is not your friend". But let's face it-if you plan your trip around the elements, you'll end up doing a lot of wishin instead of fishin.  Here's a couple thoughts I have when the flags are flyin stiff. 
One of the first things I do the night before is to get a chart or print an area off the internet that I'm going to fish.  Positioning the map with "North" to the top, I then draw lines indicating wind direction-five or six lines usually does the trick.  I then find shorelines that are facing directly into the wind.  Usually, here on the Georgia coast-with its many islands, creek bends and shorelines that run through the marsh, I will end up bisecting 10 or 12 different spots.  I then look for those intersections that have trees, bluffs, docks, warehouses, or any other obstructions to block the wind.  At this point I'll make a float plan, and hopefully I've included some spots I'm vaguely familiar with.  If not, at least I can eliminate some water or find some new spots. 

Fishing the lee areas sometimes contradicts many thoughts about wind pushing bait onshore, but in the tidal areas, I think water clarity takes precedence and have often found the fish don't feed as well in turbulent waters.  Another factor to consider is tide stage.  Many times the smaller creeks at low tide will put you below the wind line and make open areas more comfortable.  The opposite is true as well, as the rising tide will put you above the cover and increase your exposure.  In the cooler months this lee can improve your confidence, as well as make your crew  more comfortable--so you may want to cater your run to these spots in the lee as much as possible.  This may mean trying a new ramp or new area-but I think in the long run this will make your day on the water much more enjoyable and increase your chances of catching fish. 

As far as the nuts and bolts of actual fishing...slow down.  Make your presentations, as a rule, deeper and slower.  Cover entire areas that you are fishing, as the fish will often school fairly tight this time of year.  This may mean slowing your jig down to a crawl, floating your shrimp slower with heavier weight, or even peppering every inch of a given area if you are power fishing. 

I may be a little hardcore in that I will fish in most any condition--but more often than not, if I can find a comfortable area--I will turn it into a productive day.

As usual, you won't know if you don't go...even if it's gonna blow

Capt. Tim Cutting
Coastal Georgia Inshore Charters
St Simons Island, Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment