St Simons Island Fishing Report 3/7/15

Friday, June 10, 2011

SSI Slammin 6-9-11

Had a trip with Kirk from Macon on Thursday.  Kirk is no stranger to the marsh, and is pretty much a fishin fool-like myself.  Kirk has been goin to school and working the trauma center in Macon-putting in some long, long hours and days--and decided it was time to fish. 

We set out pretty much with an open game plan, which would include trying to mix it up as much as possible.  We wanted to use artificials and live bait, fishing different places at different tide stages for different fish.  We got on a pretty decent redfish bite early with some good over slots as well as one nice upper slot. 

We decided to fish plastics later for flounder, and ended up with half a dozen good ones.  Our last stop would be throwing lip divers, looking for large trout.  Although I failed to connect with my bombers, Kirk immediately hooked up with a nice 19 incher on a yuzuri plug.  We joked about gettin back in there and catching that one's Grand Dad.  Sure enough, Kirk hooked into a true gator.  Initially I thought this fish was a redfish, until I got a look at her and my knees got a little weak.  I've had Georgia trout up to 25" on the boat, and I'm sure this one topped that.  Kirk fought this fish like a pro, for what seemed like an eternity.  As the fish got almost close enough to net, she made another hard run under the boat and pulled the darn hooks.  I am still sick! 

The bite, although steady, was not spectacular, but we still ended up with a pretty nice mess of fish, and Kirk managed a couple slams, with one slightly over 60 inches.  Thanks Kirk, it was an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment